Board logo

標題: air max force 1 blanche Now [打印本頁]

作者: xbvnzwlpl6    時間: 2017-3-31 15:37     標題: air max force 1 blanche Now

Concussion Inc. to produce an important investigation into the ongoing problem of sexual abuse committed by coaches in the sport of swimming
Between them theyve written hundreds of posts on this alarming subject covering everything from individual coaches who have abused athletes to the top leadership at swimmings governing body Colorado Springsbased USA Swimming A favorite target has been the groups executive director 64-year-old Chuck Wielgus a man who they believe should have been fired long ago for not doing enough to protect young athletes For both journalists the work has been alternately rewarding difficult lonely and frustrating as theyve had to confront both direct intimidation and what they see as blindness among mainstream media outlets about the scope of this scandal
Muchnick who lives in Berkeley California is a longtime sportswriter whose other main focus in recent years has been brain injuries the subject of his forthcoming book Concussion Inc: The End of Football As We Know It His interest in swimming began when he found out that the coach of a Berkeley swim teamone that his oldest daughter had competed forhad raped one of his athletes Joyce who lives in New York City came to the topic from a different path In 2011 when Joyce was a columnist for Real Clear Sports he wrote a story about the Penn State sex-abuse crisis which led an anonymous victim of sexual abuse by a swim coach to contact him suggesting that he take a close look at USA Swimming Hes been working the beat ever since
In a conversation with Outside editorial director Alex Heard Muchnick and Joyce talked about their experiences covering one of the darkest stories in American sports
OUTSIDE: Tim you found out fast that covering this story can have consequences Tell us about itJOYCE: In the summer of 2012 I started writing articles about USA Swimming for the website of WBAL a major Baltimore broadcasting company that owns a television station and two radio stations I was interviewed about a dozen times for WBAL-AM But then I started writing about allegations made against the founder of the North Baltimore Aquatic Clubwhich is Michael Phelpss home club In a bizarre Orwellian act the station removed all the articles and interviews Id done from its website even though it had fact-checked the piece I wrote about the NBAC I couldnt find a media site that was interested in this at all so in 2012 I decided to partner with Irv on his relentless and vigilant pursuit of the story Tim Joyce Irv tell us about the coach of your daughters old team What happened thereMUCHNICK: My eldest daughter was an excellentnot elite or Olympic-classclub swimmer Watching her become the jock of our family was a magical time in my life I loved getting up with her at 5 AM on a Saturday in Berkeley to drive to a meet anywhere from Santa Rosa to San Jose
Around 2008 our team which was coached by a man named Jesse Stovall collapsed organizationally and we went elsewhere There was also the mysterious departure of the teams star swimmer who stomped off after an on-deck argument A year later I learned through an e-mail network that Stovall had been arrested on a fugitive warrant from Florida where he had "chaperoned" the swimmer a 16-year-old girl to a national meet and twice raped her Stovall pleaded down the charges on the eve of his trial got probation and was later banned by USA Swimming Irvin Muchnick With little support from other parents I became the main source for a cover story about Stovall in my local alternative weekly the East Bay Express I thought that was the end of it but a couple of weeks after that in the spring of 2010 20/20 aired its investigation of the sexual-abuse culture of swimming focusing largely on Andy King and Brian Hindson I realized that I had stumbled onto my local precincts rendition of a national problem
Two years later in the spring of 2012 I started talking with attorneys Robert Allard in San Jose and Jonathan Little in Indianapolis just to follow up I learned what any journalist worth his salt could see: that the Safe Sport program initiated by USA Swimming after 20/20 was all PR bullshit Abuse continued but there was now a "director of Safe Sport"which really was just a staff point person who gave the same old message to victims: that they had to go to the police and expose themselves to National Board of Review hearings before anything could happen The person who holds this job Susan Woessner serves as a good face for generalized educational efforts such as attendance at anti-abuse academic conferences but USA Swimming still makes all the familiar excuses for inaction: this case happened a long time ago; that case involved someone who is not a member anymore so we have no jurisdiction; and so on
But back to Tim In the summer of 2012 I invited him to work with me Two heads are better than one and this story is too big for any single freelance reporter
When I talk to people about this problemwhether I bring up your stories for Con

歡迎光臨 醫學與影像美學 (http://medaesimg.freebbs.tw/) Powered by Discuz! 5.0.0